The Number One Property Management Company in the Harbour Area
We are committed to providing you with the highest standard of management service.
We have been operating our Property Management service from our Church Bay office and Lyttelton office for 11 years Our highly trained staff are experts in their field as we believe in delivering professional and outstanding customer service. This approach has enabled us to be the number one property management company in the Harbour area.
We understand that a rental property will either be your home or a very important part of your investments. This is why we treat all properties as we do our own.
Communication is a large part of what we do. We keep in regular touch with our tenants, treating them as customers and dealing with them very fairly. This in turn minimises disputes, arrears and other problems. However when things go wrong we act quickly and professionally to remedy the situation. We stay in close contact with our clients. Our prompt attendance to maintenance and continual communication with our investors enable us to build on our relationships.
We strictly abide by the Residential Tenancies Act and laws ensuring your interests are protected and that all legal obligations are met with a minimum of fuss or involvement on your part.
- Your property is looked after whether you are in town or not.
- Tenants have a point of contact, which isn't you.
- Managing a rental property can be time consuming, so now you have time for other things.
- We source new tenants for you, check their references and organise their method of rental payment.
- We collect bond money and lodge with Bond Centre.
- We have state-of-the-art computer software that monitors all transactions providing detailed reports and statements, for you and/or your accountant.
- We collect rent!? on your behalf and take corrective action if rent is unpaid.
- We keep you fully informed of tenancy changes, inspection reports, maintenance requirements and rent review assessments.
- We organise emergency repairs and other repairs within financial criteria set by you.
- When repairs are required that exceed our authority to effect, we will obtain quotes, advise you and ask for permission to proceed.
- We inspect the property, to a frequency determined in association with you, and send you a copy of the inspection report.
- Payment to you is by Direct Credit to your bank account and can be fortnightly as well as the end of month payment. A monthly statement is sent to you by mail or email.
- We are required to keep up to date with all changes in Tenancy Legislation and therefore know the correct action to be taken in any given situation, giving you the freedom to enjoy your valuable investment.
- We set a fair market rent and where appropriate initiate rental increase or advise landlords if we think a reduction is necessary to ensure maximum occupancy rates are achieved.
- Skilful representation.
- Protect and maximise income.
- Optimise capital growth.
- Ongoing management of tenancy.
- Completion of all documents.
- Local office for tenants to have a base.
Dear Sally, Even though I was a Landlord for over 25 years, I have to confess my record of tenant selection was pretty average. Since retiring, I have handed the Property Management to Min Sarginson Real Estate Ltd. with very satisfactory results and now have excellent tenants. In all other respects, too, your service can be recommended. JW, Christchurch
Hi Sally, Thank you most sincerely for all your assistance over the years. We have learned to trust your judgment and would have no hesitation in ever recommending you should you need an advocate (which I doubt). You have always acted with great professionalism as does everyone at Mins. It's been a pleasure working with you. Regards Dr Margaret Patrickson, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
We have been consistently grateful to have Sally McOscar of Min Sarginson in her role as our outstanding property manager. Sally breaks the mold of what many people experience in a property manager because she is a rare mix of professional, prompt and efficient, yet unobtrusive, genuine, lovely and very able. Her sense of humour is keen, but gentle and well-balanced within an appropriate stewardship of her role. Even amid unexpected and the most surreal of natural disasters(!) Sally and Min Sarginson were rapidly in contact, present and willing to help- despite the fact that she and the team were also affected by hideous conditions and loss. It is perhaps unusual to offer your property manager a reference of sorts- however, we are so impressed with Sally that we wish to show our appreciation- we have found her trustworthy, pleasant and ethical. We fully recommend renting a property through Sally and Min Sarginson. Thank you Sally and take care, Maria and Natasha
Information for Landlords
I have a property I would like professionally managed. What do I need to know?
We look after your property as if it were our own. We carry out regular inspections and urgent to minor maintenance. We carefully select tenants through our stringent selection process and work hard to retain quality tenants. We ensure we achieve a full sustainable market rental for your property.
We take care of all management aspects from tenant selection to property inspections and rent collection.
Do I have to be involved?
You can determine your level of involvement. You can discuss suitability of prospective tenants, carry out your own inspections and use your own tradespeople - or leave it all to us.
Either way, you will receive monthly statements to provide your accountant with all the information necessary to file your tax return. An end-of-year tax summary is sent to you after 31st March each year.
How much are property management fees?
Fees are deducted at 7.5% + GST on the collection of all rent and 7.5% + GST on arranging and/or supervising repairs and maintenance. One inspection per year is included, subsequent ones are $50 + GST. Property management fees are tax deductible.
How do you find good tenants?
We advertise through The Press, Trademe and through our website. Prospective tenants enquire through our office and can register their requirements. "For Rent" signs are placed at the property and properties are also advertised in our office window.
Prospective tenants complete a Rental Application to determine their ability to care for the property and meet rental payments. We require several references and will make enquiries from employers, former landlords and other referees.
When do I receive rent payments? What happens if rent is not paid?
We transfer payments to your account either fortnightly or half monthly and after the final day of each month.
If a rent payment is missed, we contact the client on day 1. If the tenant fails to pay the rent the next day, we issue a 10 day breach order, giving tenants 10 days to rectify the problem. Usually the tenant agrees to make an additional payment to pay off arrears. If not, we file an application for a mediation hearing with Tenancy Services. If mutual agreement is not reached then we file for a Tenancy Tribunal Hearing at the District Court.
What if I want to sell my house or move into it myself?
We will work to help you do this. Under the Residential Tenancies Act 1986, you are required to give 42 days written notice of your intention to move back into the property if the tenancy is periodic.
Neither party can break a fixed term tenancy.
If you want to put your property in the market there are a number of statutory procedures to follow. Once a property is sold, 42 days notice must be given (plus 3 days for postage).
How much notice must be given before an inspection?
The tenant needs 48 hours notice.
If you are interested in Min Sarginson Real Estate Ltd. becoming a manager of your property, please fill download and fill in the application form. It can be returned to our office at 53 London Street, Lyttelton or scanned and emailed to [email protected]